Saturday, December 29, 2012

Detox, Friend or Foe?

Dante enjoys a water game during swim class
Well, well, well.  Where to begin?  I thought I was doing everything right to support Dante during his detox, but now I’m not so sure.  Every day is a learning experience with these kids.  Thank God for the Holidays – and the time to devote myself to this little boy.  My head is spinning from everything we’ve gone through – the good, the bad, and the healing.

First lesson:  maybe Dante shouldn’t have so much coconut oil after all.  So here’s why we’ve had to…


Go easy on the Coconut Oil

Coconut oil will create healing and detoxifying reactions which makes some people think they are allergic to it, however this is not the case. Healing and detoxifying reactions include an upset stomach, gas, bloating, diarrhea, extra mucus, etc. which the body creates in order to clear out toxins, so any symptoms and reactions are evidence your body is working hard to detoxify and heal itself. In order to minimize reactions start with small amounts and slowly increase them.  

So while I thought I would prevent seizures by increasing Dante’s daily intake of coconut oil while he was already detoxing, I was wrong.  The amount of coconut oil was causing yet more detox for Dante, which really aggravated him.  After this, we started noticing nods, or quick nod-like seizures.  Put the helmet back on; here we go again. *Sigh*.

We’ve had a very difficult time seeing Dante have these nods again.  There is something surprising, however, that is keeping me sane.  There are actually good things we have seen along with the detox.  The Sol remedy is of great support for Dante.  He is very connected, using words he hadn’t used in a long time, eating well, very excited, super energized, more focused, loving and thankful, taking everything in – being very observant, and is super healthy.  This makes me think the nods are a “blip on the radar” and will soon vanish as the detox subsides.

I’m not leaving this up to chance, of course.  I have eliminated the coconut oil for now and have increased his other fats.  The prayers are on high, as well.

But the Modified Atkins diet causes detox too!

So as I research all the causes of detox, it is fascinating to learn the following:

"Good" fats naturally cleanse the entire body, and help get rid of all heavy metals. Eric Davis points out in his article Health Hazards of Mercury: "That is because neurotoxins are transported throughout the body attached to protein components of lipoproteins, and therefore require cholesterol for their transport and elimination. A rise in cholesterol levels and triglycerides in response to neurotoxins protects by preventing permanent attachment of the neurotoxin to the nerve and brain cells. Symptoms of neurotoxicity are most likely to occur when the cholesterol is lowered suddenly or when the affected patient goes on a low-fat, low-cholesterol, low-protein diet." That is also the reason cholesterol levels increase when a person is detoxifying.

Davis goes on to say: "In a human trial, a high-protein, low-carbohydrate diet was compared to a low-protein, high-carbohydrate diet. The researchers found greater clearance of toxins with the high-protein, low-carbohydrate diet and diminished clearance when the ratio was reversed. To utilise the protein correctly, the fat on the "lamb" needs to be eaten. The use of additional butter or lard in cooking is of paramount importance. By having adequate fat, bile production is stimulated, absorption of minerals increased and the excretion of mercury facilitated as long as constipation is avoided." Note: Constipation is avoided by consuming 80% good fat to 20% protein (according to calories).
The bottom line is that a diet high in "good" fats, moderate protein, and low-carbs, plus a few important, are all your body needs to get rid of heavy metals.

Remembrance of Years Past

So a high-fat, low-carb diet helps clear out toxic metals, eh?  Hmmm… a specific memory comes to mind.  When we did chelation with Dante years ago (not a wise decision in his case, I’m afraid), I noted that Dante became hyperactive.  Basically, detoxing heavy metals makes him hyperactive.  I have observed Dante a bit hyper lately.  Could we in fact be seeing the good fats he’s consuming – all that evil coconut oil! -- detoxing the toxic metals in his body?  Does this explain the improvements in focus and speech?  Wow.  You can see why my head is spinning.

What Now?

All in all, I do believe my son is in a good place.  My good friend, Paula, visited yesterday and noted how healthy he looks.  His weight is now so much better (“he was so skinny before, poor kid!”), his rosy cheeks, his joy, laughter, and the many kisses he gave both of us.  I know, though, that I must help him have an easier and gentler time detoxing.  He has to go through it to get through it.  But it needs to be a kinder process.  I will continue to find ways to fine-tune this process and keep him as safe and happy as possible.

We are snowed-in this Saturday and my son is taking a blessed (for me) nap.  I just love days like this; they are the perfect days for introspection.  I always ask God for guidance, to do what is best for Dante.  I hope I continue to be healthy enough to be alert to the signs and follow the steps we need to continue moving forward.  Balance is crucial for me to be well, and to help keep him and my husband well, too.  I pray for more health in the New Year.  I pray that others find their healthy route as well.  If you learn something from my posts, that is a blessing shared.  As I have been telling my husband lately, health is our true wealth.

No comments: